Sunday, July 17, 2016
1:00 PM–4:00 PM
Spend an afternoon celebrating the monsoon! Save the date and join us for a celebration inspired by our exhibition Nepalese Seasons: Rain and Ritual. Activities and performances will celebrate Nepal’s festivals, nature, and culture with connections to the art and ideas of the region.
- Art activities inspired by Nepal’s seasonal festivals and monsoon rituals; make rainsticks, frog masks, pinwheels, hybrid animals, prayer flags, flower garlands, and more
- Nepalese-inspired music and dance performances by artists including Dikyi, Brooklyn Raga Massive, Sonam Rinzin, and Kabina Maharjan Singh
- Educational activities led by Adhikaar, Grassroot Movement in Nepal, KathaSatha, Yulha Fund, Mero Gaon, Walung Community of North America, and other Himalayan cultural groups, including traditional Nepali dress demonstrations
- Family yoga instruction by Susan Verde
- Museum tours and gallery searches for families
- Henna tattoos
Refreshments available for purchase:
- Himalayan street food, including samosas, chutney sandwiches, and fruit lassis, from Café Serai
- Artisanal ice cream from Van Leeuwen
Presented by New York Life. Additional support of Family Programs has been provided by Con Edison, Agnes Gund, and public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
Event is free and open to the public (includes FREE admission to the museum all day) and will happen rain or shine