Losar Family Day 2020
Celebrate the Year of the Metal Mouse
Sunday, February 16, 2020
12:00 PM–4:00 PM
Kick off the year of the Metal Mouse with your family and friends! Celebrate Losar, the Himalayan New Year, with an afternoon of art. Learn about traditional Losar celebrations and this year’s zodiac animal, the creative and adaptable Metal Mouse. Then explore the galleries, get lost in a maze of auspicious symbols, make your own Metal Mouse, construct torma butter sculptures, and let your creativity go wild!
- Create a colorful design inspired by Himalayan butter sculptures
- Embody this year’s astrological sign, the Mouse, by creating your very own mouse mask
- Take inspiration from the elements and mold a shiny Metal Mouse
- Shed the obstacles and regrets from the past year in an activity to inspire cleansing and renewal
- Explore the meaning of the eight auspicious symbols in a scavenger-hunt maze. Can you find them all?
- Join in the music and songs of Losar with the celebrated Tibetan folk and freedom singer Techung! His children’s album Semshae: Heart Songs brings the traditional sounds of Tibet to young listeners around the world. Attend this special performance and find out why his works have led him to be honored for his artistry by New York State’s Council for the Arts and the New York Foundation for the Arts.
- See a traditional Tibetan dance, complete with spectacular costumes to ring in the year, presented by YindaYin Coaching Center in Jackson Heights, Queens. Members of YindaYin will also share their vision for the future of education in New York’s Tibetan refugee community.
- Watch as expert torma maker Tenzin Soepa creates beautiful butter sculptures. Made from flour and butter, these intricate, colorful ritual offerings are displayed in Tibetan Buddhist shrines 15 days after Losar during Chunga Choepa, the Butter Lamp Festival.
- Take a 30-minute mindfulness journey through the Museum to learn about the traditions of Losar. This session will be led by Museum educator, Tashi Chodron, Himalayan Cultural Programs and Partnerships. The whole family can enjoy this Losar and Mindfulness Tour.
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
Free Museum Admission for children and accompanying adults from 12:00-4:00 PM.