The temple of Changu Narayan is built on top of a high hill to the east of Kathmandu and north of Bhaktapur cities. This temple is the most celebrated Vaishnava shrine in the Kathmandu valley. Its origin dates back to the fourth century, but the earliest inscription on a stone pillar belongs to the ruler of Licchavi dynasty Manadev who ruled at the end of the fifth and early sixth century. The Central image in the sanctum is worshipped by Hindus as a god Garuda Narayan, and by Buddhists as a deity Harihara Bahan Lokeshwara. The temple has been restored during the late 1500-s and devastated by fire in 1702, but was then restored. Although the present temple is not one of the oldest in the Kathmandu valley, some of its decorative ornaments are extremely old. After the April-May 2015 earthquakes the main temple is still standing but barely and has extensive damage to its walls. Some Chaityas around the temple have also collapsed.