The submission period for The Lotus Effect has officially closed.
Lotuses grow in muddy, murky waters, rise to the surface, and unfold. They bloom untainted by the muck and serve as a reminder, albeit a temporary one, that moments of beauty can emerge from the toughest conditions. In Tibetan Buddhism this sacred symbol is associated with purity, awakening, transformation, and compassion, and it appears in works of art at the Rubin Museum.
For The Lotus Effect, we invite you to fold an origami lotus of your own and contribute it to a physical installation. The installation will serve as a community-built symbol of gratitude for the people and things that help us get through difficult moments.
How to participate
- Fold an origami lotus flower
- Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to fold a paper lotus, and dedicate your lotus to someone or something that supports you through challenging times. Get creative! You can add color, words, or even shapes. Make it uniquely yours. If you’re planning to bring your lotus to the Museum, please use a paper size that is less than 36 in. x 36 in.
- Bring your origami lotus to the Museum
- We invite you to bring your origami lotus to the Museum to contribute to the physical installation located in the Spiral Lobby. Please note, while a ticket is not required to enter this space, participants will need to follow all safety protocols. To visit the galleries, we recommend purchasing a ticket in advance as limited walk-up tickets will be available at the door.
- Share on social media
- While the Museum is closed, photograph your origami lotus and share it on social media using the #TheLotusEffect and tagging @RubinMuseum. Who or what are the “lotuses” in your life that remind you of the bloom beyond murky waters?
- Mail or email
- You can mail your lotus to the Rubin Museum to become part of the physical installation or email a photograph of your lotus to email@example.com to be part of an onsite digital slideshow.
- Mailing address
- The Lotus Effect
- Rubin Museum of Art
- 140 West 17th Street
- New York, NY 10011
- Fold as a (Virtual) Group
- Fold together by sharing our step-by-step instructions (PDF download) with loved ones. Share your creations with each other and @RubinMuseum online. For additional help in spreading the Lotus Project to groups of ten or more participants, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.